So you want to be ET and live that green-thumb life. Do you even know where to begin? Starting an eco-friendly way of living can be easy if you follow the right steps and it can be hard if you do it the wrong way. This simple guide should get you going on the right path to living environmentally conscious.
Rule 1: Get yourself in the green mode. Ask yourself if you are ready for the change.
Rule 2: Do research by going to the library.
Rule 3: Ask yourself again if you are ready.
- Ask friends that are living the green life for some helpful advice.
- Tackle the change one step at a time.
- Ask a contactor to help guide you with the necessary changes your home needs to go green.
- Know that it will take a while until you are living the green life to the fullest.
- Take anything that is not eco-friendly out of the house. It will be tough getting rid of things but is a necessary step. Fine, you can keep two things.
- Start from the inside out. No need to green the outside when the inside cannot benefit from it.
- Remember: reduce, reuse, and recycle.
- Replace furniture with earth-friendly furniture. Pottery Barn, antique shops, and thrift stores are great places to purchase refurbished items and eco-friendly items.
- Remember to recycle old items and turn them into new items.
- Use eco-friendly paint to decorate the walls.
- Remember LED is for thee.
- Keep decorating minimal.
- Plant locally because the vegetation has a better chance of surviving because it is used to the weather conditions.
- Purchase used stuff instead of new things. Read e-books instead of books.
- Stay away from plastic. I mean it! It will kill you…not really, but you get the point.
- No more fast food, soda, or junk food. Purchase food from a farmer’s market.
- Grow your own crops. Nothing is better than making fresh food with vegetables from your own garden. Just remember to take care of the garden the eco-friendly way.
- Say bye to your gas guzzler. You should purchase a hybrid, ride a bike, or take mass-transit.
- Keep up the routine.
- Look for eco-friendly products while you shop.
- Keep reminding yourself that you are helping Earth live longer.
- Remind visitors that they are guests in a green home.
- Do not be ashamed to be a tree hugger. Trees love being hugged.
- At least once a month, you have to watch Fern Gully. (optional)
There you have it. Now you have no excuse on not going green. Better your environment and decrease your carbon footprint. By the time you make your home a fully green zone; you will be very pleased with the outcome. Who knows? You might even change other people’s minds.
I hope this simple guide helps you out in the long wrong. Unlike ET who went home, you get to stay put in your eco-friendly green home. Deal with it. Remember to turn off the lights. Good night.